Thursday, October 15, 2009

Beep Beep


(trust me. there's a musical term in there somewhere.)

We were sitting in the kitchen last night playing Scrabble (or "the game from Hell" as my hubby likes to call it) ... when suddenly ... from the downstairs hallway ...

beep

Me: What was that?

Hubby: Sounded like a smoke alarm. Are you SURE wyxtrim is a word?

beep!

Me: There it goes again! Yes, wyxtrim. It's, uh, a musical term. 95 points.

beep!

Hubby: That's the smoke alarm all right. Let me take a look.

... get ladder from garage, unscrew smoke alarm, which is hard wired through the ceiling, read warning label which says "do not remove wires or open battery compartment due to risk of electrocution" ...

Hubby: I don't even SEE a battery compartment.

BEEP!

Me: Just rip the stupid thing off. That noise is driving me crazy. I'm sure you won't get electrocuted. Hm ... hoobrit ... perfect! 78 points. Your turn!

BEEP!!

... sounds of ripping, twisting, and breaking plastic ...

Hubby: Got it. Sheesh. What the heck is hoobrit?

Me: Another musical term. It means to play as loudly as you can. The opposite of diminuendoissimo.

Hubby: Sure. Ok. I hate this game. How could you be winning 565 to 74? That doesn't seem right. Are you sure you're adding my points?

Just then ... from the upstairs hallway ...

beep

~~~

11 comments:

Susan R. Mills said...

Nice words. I'm sure they are in some dictionary somewhere. :)

Rae said...

A very familiar saga. I hate those blasted beeps and why do they always go off at night? Pretty good scrabble ideas. I may have to use them.

Lillian Robinson said...

Hubby won't play Scrabble with me. It's the only game I can beat him at!

Ellie Kings said...

Too funny... I was right there with you, I can imagine the beat-down look in your hubby's eyes. Great words! Thanks for the English word lesson.

Brilliant Sulk said...

I refuse to play Scrabble with my husband. He's slow and I'm impatient.

Can you please use diminuendoissimo in a sentence for me?

Lesley said...

Susan: I have a very big vocabulary. Mostly musical terms.

Lesley said...

Rae: I know - whose bright idea was it to make them beep incessantly?? Six or seven beeps would be more than enough.

Lesley said...

Lily: My hubby is getting to that point. I'll have to teach the grandbaby how to play.

Lesley said...

Ellie: No problem! Hubby actually is really good at Scrabble - I'm the beat-down one at least half the time!

Fran Hill said...

My husband always, always beats me at Scrabble. Bearing in mind that he can't spell (and always has to ask me to check his words) and I'm an English teacher, this really shouldn't happen. But he's good at strategy, and plans ahead, whereas I have a 'whatever' attitude to planning ahead. So he always wins. S'just not fair.

The Retired One said...

Hilarious! I LOVE people that cheat at Scrabble!! (and that hear things!) :-}

Christmas contest

We're having an office decorating contest at work! With prizes! So in my usual quirky way, I'm being as competitive as possible. ...