Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Dad

One of my earliest memories is of my dad sitting on the side of my sister's bed, telling us a bedtime story. I was probably 3 or 4. Every night he would come in and sit on one of our beds, and make up a story about Buffin Bear.

What would his students have thought if they could have seen the distinguished, articulate and reserved Professor Dale sending his little girls into hysterical giggles by describing Buffin Bear's latest antics in the grocery store? What would his colleagues have thought if they heard him patiently repeating the same silly story he had already told three times in a row? What would his concert audiences have thought if they saw him gently reassuring us that we could hear the same story again tomorrow night, if we would just go to sleep for now?

They probably wouldn't have been surprised in the least.

No comments:

Christmas contest

We're having an office decorating contest at work! With prizes! So in my usual quirky way, I'm being as competitive as possible. ...