Tuesday, December 1, 2009

My One-Year Anniversary!


(happy birthday, my turn to talk!)


One year ago today, I started my little blog.

I did lots of things wrong:

~ I made the posts way too long. I'm pretty quiet in real life, but I tend to ramble in Blogville.

~ I really didn't have a focus. Successful bloggers build a following by sticking to one subject. Not me.

~ I talked about my childhood and the "good old days" which of course nobody really cares about. Just ask my kids.

But along the way, I somehow gained some loyal followers and made some good friends.

Let's see ... there's Fran, who was one of my very first followers. She is an English teacher - which would automatically make her one of my favorite people anyway. She's also hysterically funny, in a dry British sort of way.

Then there's Amanda, who could not be more different from me - and yet, we seem to understand each other perfectly. Where else could that work out, except in Blogville? Amanda doesn't know it yet, but she will be writing a best-selling cookbook one day. Count on it.

There's The Retired One, who helped me learn how to be funny without rambling so much, and who has the funniest police reports in the entire world. (not to mention the most beautiful photographs)

There's Lily, a sweet and supportive friend who will be publishing a book very soon. Her Bloggy friends will all rush to buy a copy! Me included, of course.

There's Rae, a former nurse who really should have been a writer all along. She finds the best topics to write about! I find it hard not to steal her ideas on a daily basis.

My newest friends include Ellie, who writes amazing poetry, and Anni, who is a fellow Texan, and Plainolebob, who has just about the most unique blog I have ever read.

I'm sure I'm leaving people out - and I do apologize. I haven't even mentioned the family members and "real" friends who read my ramblings and laugh along and tell me to keep going.

My point is, I expected blogging to be all about the words. The stories. The serious, introspective thoughts from the pit of my deep, black subconscious.

But it ended up being all about you. My friends. In real life and in Blogville.

Thank you for reading.

I love you all.

I hope you'll stick with me for another year.

~~~

9 comments:

Rae said...

You have a wonderful blog and I find myself jealous of your ability to be so witty and write such clever posts. I am glad I found your blog. Even if I don't comment on every one, I am always reading them. Congratulations on your first blogging anniversary. Thank you also for the nice compliment.

Bruce Coltin said...

I will probably be signing on for another year. Will you be offering frequent user points?

Jim said...

Way to go Lesley... keep on blogging.

Lillian Robinson said...

Happy Anniversary. I agree with you... it starts out being about the writing, and then it ends up being about the people.

Here's to another year of beautiful friendships! (and I keep telling Rae she needs to be a columnist)

Lesley said...

Rae: Witty and clever? That's you, my dear!!

Bruce: I knew I was forgetting someone!! You were one of my first encouragers. Yes, lots of frequent user points for you!!

Jim: Thanks, I will keep ranting for sure. haha

Lily: I hope we can all have a blogger get-together some day. Wouldn't that be fun?

Ellie Kings said...

Oh you included me... yeay! I'm so honored. I love reading your posts always. Here's to your first year and many more. So happy I'm not the only one who's made boo-boos along the way. We learn as we go my dear friend. I'm still all over the place. Still trying to find my groove. Hopefully, one day I'll be as funny and witty as you are. :) Love you! xo

Brilliant Sulk said...

Isn't it amazing how a year can fly by in the blink of an eye? Guess it's because I'm getting old. Speaking of eyes....I need to get glasses. I can't see the teeny tiny print on these blobs. I mean blogs. See? I'm blind!

Thanks for including me, your blob always makes me laugh.

And I always appreciate your witty comments when you venture over to the dark side and visit my blob...

Fran Hill said...

Sorry I missed your anniversary! But here I am, better late than never, and still using the old cliches shamelessly. Thank you for the mention - yes, I have stayed loyal. That's because YOU'RE FUNNY AND GOOD AND I LIKE YOU.

The Retired One said...

I just read this post today (I am WAYYYY behind due to our trip to Florida)..it was so sweet of you to mention me in your blog.
You have a FANTASTIC blog and you are hilarious...short or long blogposts, it doesn't matter...I love and dig your sense of humor. If you lived near me, we would giggle together daily!
Happy Anniversary and congratulations...keep on writing your blog...you make my day!

Christmas contest

We're having an office decorating contest at work! With prizes! So in my usual quirky way, I'm being as competitive as possible. ...