Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Choir That Couldn't Sing: Part 5

(we made it! yes this is me, umpteen years ago, with my fashionable fanny-pack)


There are many, many amazing places to see in Italy. We saw them all in 10 days flat.

Unfortunately for the people of Italy, we also sang in most of them.

The very first night that we were there, the entire choir ate at a charming little restaurant. When the wait staff learned that we were singers (in the loosest possible sense of the word), they offered to sing for us.

Lo and behold, they launched into a gorgeous melody with lovely Italian lyrics, full 4-part harmony and a sweet tone that echoed off the stone walls.

When they were finished, the director stood up and motioned for the choir to stand. I shrank down in my seat and pretended not to know them.

"Let'sh shing the Italian nashional anthem," proclaimed Mr. Director, who had just polished off several glasses of wine after consuming at least 27 drinks during our 27-hour airline ordeal.

The wait staff smiled and waited with anticipation.

Then the singing began.

The wait staff raised their eyebrows and looked at each other in bewilderment. Clearly they did not know their own national anthem. Amazing.

Or maybe they just didn't recognize it. Ya think?

... then we went to Siena, where I was nearly trampled to death by horses ...

~~~

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lol ... oh my goodness ... I could just picture the raised eyebrows. Hehe! Can't wait for the next episode!

Take Care!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Fran Hill said...

That's very funny.

Brilliant Sulk said...

I suppose since I was recently granted Italian citizenship I should know the anthem too.

Perhaps I'll have a glass of wine and practice...

Christmas contest

We're having an office decorating contest at work! With prizes! So in my usual quirky way, I'm being as competitive as possible. ...