Thursday, June 18, 2009

How To Be Funny


(funny girl)


I spend a lot of time trying to be funny. I try to make my blogs funny. I am trying to launch a new career writing funny greeting cards, which is much harder than it looks. And in my spare time, I try to get a giggle or two out of my grandbaby.

When I was growing up, my sisters and I thought we were pretty funny. Especially our Indian jokes. (warning: politically incorrect topic ahead)

In Connecticut, a lot of the streets and towns have Native American names. So we would take those names and try to make jokes out of them. When one of us came up with a joke, we would all howl with laughter, clutch our stomachs and repeat it over and over. Other people (like our parents for example) who clearly had no sense of humor would stare at us wide-eyed and then walk away.

Ok, so here is one of our jokes, based on the name of our street (Mohegan Avenue) ...

There was an Indian named Mo. His friends couldn't find him one day, so one friend said to the other, "Where's Mo?" and the other friend said, "Mo? He gone."

... I will pause for a minute while you howl with laughter and clutch your stomach. Let me know if you want me to repeat the joke 6 or 7 more times ...

What's that? You're good? Your eyes are wide and you're about to walk away?

Before you go, let me share the One True Secret Of Funny-ness. I learned this from my 2-year-old granddaughter:

Stick out your tongue, and talk at the same time.

I know - pretty simple, right? Now, don't expect your grown-up friends to laugh. But try it with a 2-year-old. Trust me. It works every time.

~~~


6 comments:

Bruce Coltin said...

Can we see one of the greeting cards?

Ziggy Stardust said...

Actually the joke was pretty cute and I love the picture. Let me know and I will buy your cards.

Anne

Fran Hill said...

Can we have a picture of you with your tongue out trying to talk? Please?

Lesley said...

Bruce and Chicamom: Thanks for asking about the cards! I'm still in the preliminary stages, but I'll keep you posted!

Fran: Umm ... I think I have a picture of that around here somewhere. Let me look ....

Brilliant Sulk said...

Sign me up for the greeting cards....

I grew up in Connecticut as well and my FAVORITE street name by far was "Roast Meat Hill Road"

(think it was in Wilton)

Someday I will move back just to live on that street.

Lesley said...

Amanda - that's so funny! We lived quite close to Gallows Lane, where legend has it they hung witches back in the day. Great place to tell ghost stories!

Christmas contest

We're having an office decorating contest at work! With prizes! So in my usual quirky way, I'm being as competitive as possible. ...